Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog Bengi had to have his amputation.It's been 2 months…

Customer Question
Our dog Bengi had...

Our dog Bengi had to have his amputation.It's been 2 months and he still wears a cone.He still spins around and try's to bite his feet.He barks a lot.We don't know what to do for him.How

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Bengi,The vet doesn't know what else to deal.I want to help him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No,They have taken care of Bengi since a puppyThey have him on two meds,Trazodone andGabapenton

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

HI. My name is Dr. ***** *****. I have over 15 years experience as an emergency veterinarian. Give me one minute to read your question and respond.

Do I need him to have X-rays.Who do I take him to ?We don't have a lot of money.We are retired.

It is not uncommon for there to be nerve pain post amputation. When the surgery is performed, the nerves are injected with an anesthetic to try and decrease this type of discomfort. The discomfort could also be from scar tissue or sutures. It is important to start Bengi on something for neuropathic pain, like gabapentin. This medication helps with neuropathic pain and may cause mild sedation. He may need a combination of a couple of pain medications initially. Over a few weeks, you should be able to wean him off of the meds. After a major surgery, especially involving nerves, there is an adjustment period where the inflammation caused by the surgery, transected nerves and sutured muscles) will decrease over several weeks. Some animals take longer than others. I don't think that X-rays are necessary at this time. I would focus on pain management first. Your local veterinarian may start him on an anti inflammatory as well as gabapentin initially. Please ask any follow up questions.

They have him onTrazodone 50 mg.Will this help?How long will he have to wear o cone?

Trazodone is okay, but used more for anxiety. I would ask to switch to gabapentin for possible nerve pain. The cone will need to stay on until he no longer tries to chew at the surgical site. It could take up to two weeks on a new pain medication.

Should I give them both?Do you think he has an aniety

That is hard for me to say based on an internet conversation. I would discuss with your local vet when you ask for the gabapentin.

He is on Gabapentin already

Okay. So what are all of his medications?

I apologize. I just saw that you had listed those two medications in your original questions. If it is just trazadone and gabapentin, then they may need to add an anti-inflammatory. Sometimes it takes trial and error to find the right combination that works. I would also look at cold laser therapy and acupuncture. Both are beneficial with chronic pain. The key is to find what combination works for him. I know it is frustrating.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian