Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 7 month old pitbull adopted from an animal Humane…

Customer Question
I have a 7...

I have a 7 month old pitbull adopted from an animal Humane Society it has been sick since I picked it up on the 22nd throwing up diarrhea you times has had that hard stools is Ben liquid stools and vomiting up liquid bowel II got a pinkish red and I don't know if it's blood also and foamy clear stuff it's had its first shots distemper Bordetella parvo kennel cough believe I'm going to be taking him back I got him on the 22nd I don't know what else to do with them I've taken his food away they can maybe the food changed his food any suggestions I've had to shampoo my carpets he has no control sometimes believe it or not is potty trained

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Pitbull eat anything unusual?

No it got sick on the way home on the ride I thought maybe it was just because the food wasn't held before it left so I was giving it a chance

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Pitbull's name?

Prince

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Prince?

That's all I know I mean it's been drinking Prince eats you can tell you don't feel good I feel sorry for him cuz he's got those puppy doggy eyes he's up brindle pitbull I've never had a pitbull before except half of breed

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is there any answers for help?
12/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. My name is Dr. ***** *****. I have over 15 years experience as an emergency veterinarian. I am sorry that Prince has been so sick. Differentials for vomiting and diarrhea in a puppy are infectious (viral and bacterial most common), gastrointestinal foreign body, pancreatitis and internal parasites.

Because he has been vomiting with diarrhea for several days, it is important to have him evaluated as soon as possible. He needs to be tested for parvovirus and at a minimum given some fluids, antibiotics and anti nausea medication. I would call the shelter and let them know Prince is sick. They may have a veterinarian there that can see him and do some testing. I would with hold food for at least six hours after the last episode of vomiting. Then only offer small meals of chicken and rice initially. You can also give Prince pepcid AC at 1 mg per 2 pounds body weight once daily. This may help with nausea.

Please ask any follow up questions. Take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian