Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was neutered on Thursday and came home with no

Customer Question
My dog was neutered...

My dog was neutered on Thursday and came home with no issues. Christmas Eve morning went peed and then starting screaming in pain. He was okay for 4 hours and we left for festivities. When we got home, same thing. I took to ER and they catheterized him, gave us antibiotic just in case, and an inflammatory. She said no blockage and things looked okay, but he had a little redness on tip of penis. We gave doses of everthing that night and Christmas Day. He was same and today/yesterday, he is worse. He hasn't peed now in just over 24 hours. I retook him to regular vet this morning and he checked out okay. They said stay the course but watch pee. At 1:00, we noticed he tried to pee but couldn't. He just scream in pain, be rigid for a while and then would be exhausted for about 30 min to an hour. In between, he was fine, great energy! I took back to ER vet. They did a urinalysis and a cursory ultrasound, nothing. The tip of penis was really red, irritated. The vet and the internist were stumped, just like morning vet. We left with pain meds. Now he is a 6 mo old golden doodle that was perfectly healthy and now he is a zombie dog who can't pee and no one seems to what is going on. I'm really nervous now about how long it's been since he's peed. Today/early evening his bladder a normal size and tests showed his kidneys were functioning. We need help!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name?

Bear

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bear?

This morning he threw up 2 times, all bile and not much.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

HI. My name is Dr. ***** *****. I have over 15 years experience as an emergency veterinarian. Give me one minute to read your question and respond.

Bear needs to be at the 24 hour facility on more potent pain medication and iv fluids. They need to hospitalize him so that they can monitor his urine output, treat the nausea and control his pain. It is a very odd presentation, but obviously he is suffering. Trying to continue giving him oral medications when he has vomited is pointless. It may be that he needs some time with supportive care. I suspect he needs to be catheterized to empty his bladder, started on iv fluids and narcotics. Once the pain and nausea are controlled with a day or two of medications, he may be able to urinate comfortably on his own. The key is to control the pain and give him some time. His pain is not adequately controlled with oral medication. Please ask any follow up questions. Sorry Bear is so uncomfortable. You are a good advocate for him.