Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My yelps in pain when I touch his lower back where the tail…

Customer Question
My King Charles yelps in...
My King Charles yelps in pain when I touch his lower back where the tail starts. His right leg is dragging or he doesn’t put I down. Happened suddenly this morning when he was walking around the apartment.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 month ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I just signed in and noticed no other expert chose to answer your question and wanted to help.

Dogs who will not put weight on a leg could have a dislocated hip, or knee injury such as an ACL tear. You can read about dislocated hips here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/hip_dislocation.html

And read about ACL injuries here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2084&aid=474

Since he is not putting weight on it, it probably is NOT a pulled muscle. I would have him seen by your vet as soon as possible.. If possible, contain him in a crate until you can get him seen. If it is a dislocated joint it is best addressed as quickly as possible. In addtion, buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

If aspirin is used, your vet may not be able to prescribe other drugs until it clears from your dog's system. I'd probably hold off on the aspirin if you are going to get your dog in pretty quickly. Now a severe disc issue might also lead to paralyses of the rear legs. Disc issues often require specialized imaging to diagnose as well. I'd start with a visit to vet to check for an acl or dislocated hip and if nothing is found then look for a disc issue.

You can read about this here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd-in-the-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd-in-the-cervical-area-in-dogs/

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please done hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why would it be an ACL injury if when I press down on his lower back right above where the tail starts he cries in pain?

It probably is not an ACL injury but I mention the ACL injury just because that is a reason a dog might not put their leg down. Now a dog might fall and injure the leg and bruise the back at the same time. A sudden twist which often happens during a slipping type injury might twist the knee and injure the back as well when the fall occurs. I find it is best to mention all the possible causes since the dog can not tell us what might have happened.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner