Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I’m watching my friends 11 year old dog, today she tore up a…

Customer Question
I’m watching my friends...

I’m watching my friends 11 year old dog, today she tore up a foam pad while I was out. She ate her dinner (dry food which the owner grinds up ) now she has terrible gas, has been drinking water, then she had dirarhes and now she vomited a mixture of brownish liquid. She seems alert but got in her bed and is watching the door.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Olive

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Olive?

She is sort of a nervous, she been with me for 4 days

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

An offer for a phone consultation usually will come up a few minutes after starting the chat, please note that it is not from me, it is automatically generated by the site. I am not always able to do phone consultations, but I can always continue chatting with you here.

I'm sorry Olive isn't feeling well, it's extra stressful when something comes up while dog-sitting-

The foam isn't likely to be toxic, but certainly could cause stomach irritation. There is some chance too, depending on if she swallowed any larger pieces, there could be some risk for an obstruction in the GI tract. But that could take a bit of time to know if there is a bigger issue with passage of any material.

An antacid would be safe to try tonight, though with the vomiting she has already had she may not be able to keep it down. Do you have anything like Pepcid AC, Zantac, or something similar on hand at home? And do you have an estimation of her weight?

No antacids but could go to the store weighs about 25 lbs

So my preferred choice is Pepcid AC or generic famotidine, any grocery store or drug store should have it in the antacid aisle, at about 25 lbs you could give her a 10mg tablet every 12 hours, more info here: https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/famotidine-pepcid-for-dogs-and-cats-2/

I think it would be ok to try that for tonight and see how she seems in the morning, if she is continuing to vomit or have diarrhea it would be best to have her seen in person with a vet, sometimes they need an injection to help reset their system for nausea (bypass the stomach).

If she seemed better in the morning, a bland diet for a few days can be helpful, something like chicken and rice (or some other low fat protein and low fiber starch in equal parts), starting with a small amount to make sure we keep it down, and can continue for a few meals just so what is going through is easily digestible.

I hope that helps for some things to try, hopefully she just needs a little time, but if she is seeming more sick, or begins vomiting blood or dark coffee-ground like material, or is passing black/tarry stool, I would try to get her checked out in person as soon as possible.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask-

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family - this is included in your question fee. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not response time or any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago

How is Olive doing today?

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian