Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog had severe pancreatitis a few years back and I was…

Customer Question
My dog had severe...

My dog had severe pancreatitis a few years back and I was informed she could never eat fatty foods again...to the point that she can't take flea medicine by mouth for gear it may set it off again. I just saw a grocery bag was left out and she ate about 1/4 of a kieabasi. This occured about 30 minutes ago...I don't know what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Maggie 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?

That's the most pertinent...other things are like arthritis, and stuff like that. Overall pretty healthy. However she does have a slightly elevated liver enzyme they've been watching for years...since she had this before

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

With this history I would encourage you to induce vomiting. Since this was ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

It simply isn't worth the risk of potentially recurring the pancretitis

If there is no vomiting with the peroxide please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite and if GI upset is seen then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the ingredients pass more readily of >15 minutes

- Next meal should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

- If vomiting or reduced appetite are not resolving then get Maggie to your veterinarian in the morning (this may take 12-24 or even 36 hours to show signs of pancreatitis from this ingestion)

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify. I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian