Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have two golden retrievers both 75 to 80 lbs. They got in…

Customer Question
I have two golden...

I have two golden retrievers both 75 to 80 lbs. They got in the Christmas candy, ate a 7.5 oz box of fudge love and a 12 oz bx or Russell Stovers cremes. This was sometime today. I left the house for work at 9 and came home a 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

We have a Comet and a Maddie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

They are both healthy and current on their shots, Maddie does take a 0.5 thyroid pill daily. They are both 9 years old.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect your dogs very much, in fact, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on them. The only cause for concern here would be any chocolate content, the other ingredients in the fudge and the Russell Stovers cremes will be non toxic to dogs. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dogs ate before you would see signs of toxicity. That said they may perhaps suffer a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea purely because of the sudden ingestion of unaccustomed rich " human " food, but should this occur it will rarely be much of a problem. But let's talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your smaller dog's weight as being in the region of 75 lb then you can see that this dog would have to swallow around 52.5 ozs { More than three pounds } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Clearly, the amount of chocolate each dog will have swallowed today is going to be very minimal by comparison. while it is true that other forms of chocolate can be more toxic than milk chocolate this is still not likely to be an issue with your dogs today, also if any wrappers were also swallowed then this is rarely a problem.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that either of your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian