Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog wok up early this morning trying to vomit. The small…

Customer Question
My dog wok up...

My dog wok up early this morning trying to vomit. The small amount vomitus was mostly clear. About an hour later after not eating, he vomited again and the amount was about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup and very yellow. I did catch him licking/eating some open butter packs while playing at a high school yesterday. My dog seemed to play enthusiastically and have a normal appitite yesterday and I did brush his hair feeding him these pure chicken bit treats from the BOulder Dog Food Company (only ingredient is chicken and topopherols. He likes this treat while I brush him...no other issues before with this treat and the bag was new). He has not eaten since he last vomited and is sleeping off and on. I offered his favorite "cookie" and he turned away from it and he has not taken any water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Very food motivated, very active and enthusiastic dog. Hes a 70lb Wirehaired Pointing Griffon who shows (no dog shows in the last 6 moths)

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

My primary concern with this ingestion is risk of pancreatitis with the ingestion of the fat in the butter but also that they were in the environment before ingestion and opened. CLICK HERE for more information on pancreatitis in dogs and symptoms to be monitoring for

Hopefully this is simple gi upset delayed by the digestion of the butter packets but if there is no change please get him to your veterinarian. First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting but also to allow the pancreas to rest and recover. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

Again if there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later with this history. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control but also if this is pancreatitis bloodwork will confirm this and iv therapy will be required to get your pet feeling better and home again more comfortable

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in 6-8 hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting him comfortable

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Good evening, I wanted to check in on you both before signing off for the night. I hope the vomiting has subsided and he is doing better. I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman