Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have two Shiba Inus, mother & Daughter. One of them has…

Customer Question
I have two Shiba...

I have two Shiba Inus, mother & Daughter. One of them has had many episodes of diarrhea over the last week or so. No other symptoms that I can detect except a bone (meat free)) from a dinner at a restaurant. I suspect that it is the puppy who ingested most of it. I gave the puppy (5 mo) canned pumpkin, about two tablespoons, twice. It skipped that day, but returned. Should I take her to my vet, or continue to try to stop it with another home remedy?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?

Nugget

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nugget?

Not particularly, but could teething be the problem. Her mother keeps licking, Mouthing the inside of her mouth.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What color is the diarrhea?

Are both dogs' gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on each dog's belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

The discharge is not tarry black, sort of watery, but the fresh ones are dark brown except the stain left on the white portion of the rug leaves a stain of orangey color. That is why I think that it is Nugget because of the pumpkin that she was given/..
Both dogs gums are pink, and moist. Neither of them appears to be in any discomfort, and no signs of tenderness or discomfort. Their energy level appears normal,

Hello again,

My apologies for my delay, the site has had some technical issues this week (and of course I have been away managing my own patients). Anyway, given the situation, if the diarrhea persists then we'd want to take a few more steps to see if we can get this settled. The canned pumpkin can be continued but with each meal. Diet-wise, you can put our suspect (or both) onto an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too.

Furthermore, if those stools are very loose, you can treat Nugget (as it does sound like it is her) with an OTC pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics added in. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI. As well, just to cover bases, we'd want to make sure she was up to date on worming (especially since persisting signs would support something more then gastritis from the bone). And if this persists then consider submitting a fecal sample to the local vet for testing to pinpoint the cause of the loose stools so we can target treatment for Nugget.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian