Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has small red bumps on her nose and neck. Small bumps on…

Customer Question
She has small red...

She has small red bumps on her nose and neck

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Small bumps on her nose and neck

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She is scratching near her tail

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Priscilla 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Priscilla?

Nope that's it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Priscella today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Do the bumps seem to itch her?

Have you checked her over to see if she has fleas?

Has she been seen by your vet for this yet?

I am not able to offer phone consultations at this time, but would be happy to continue chatting with you here. If you would prefer to talk live, I can opt out so that another expert can provide that service.

She has dandruff but no fleas. I was trying this first before going to the vet.
My other pitbull has had food allergies and had similar bumps.
Chat is fine :)

Dandruff can be a sign of skin problems, but is not specific for any one condition. Allergies to food or environmental triggers can indeed cause bumps on the skin. Have you tried any medication for this?

I've tried benadryl and moist bathing dog wipes and it has helped

If an antihistamine helped, it is possible that there is an underlying allergy component. Unfortunately, many dogs with allergies will also develop secondary bacterial or yeast infections. This cannot be determined just by visual inspection and a test called a skin cytology is needed to confirm. This may be the case if the lesions are not clearing up completely. It may be best to have your vet evaluate this if it is not resolving so that a skin cytology can be performed and the proper medication prescribed if needed.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z