Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is sneezing has a runny nose and bad breath. I have…

My dog is sneezing...

My dog is sneezing has a runny nose and bad breath. I have been giving her vets best seasonal allergy support natural formula. I give her 1 1/2 pill twice a day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she will be 9 years on jan 31.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?

No, she is eating and drinking and playing she just sneezing has a running nose.

12/26/2017
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

How long has the sneezing been going on?

Is the nasal discharge clear or is there any color to it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its been going on for a couple of days and its clear.

Allergies can be a cause of sneezing in dogs, but should improve with antihistamines (if that is what is in the medication you are giving her). Other causes of sneezing would include anything that would irritate the lining of the nasal cavity. That would include things like nasal polyps or masses, inhaled foreign bodies or even fungus in some parts of the country. You had mentioned that she has bad breath. It is possible that she has an infected tooth and that could be another cause of sneezing. The tooth roots are very close to the nasal cavity and if there is infection, it could invade the nasal cavity and cause inflammation of it which could lead to sneezing.

I would definitely recommend that you have her examined by your veterinarian for this soon.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian