Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Labrador is 10, and twice she has gotten "scared of

Customer Question
My Labrador is 10...

My Labrador is 10, and twice she has gotten "scared of stairs" when she went outside. I didnt see her slip, but she flopped down when she came in.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Labrador?

Later she got up and walked around, but has been unwilling to got out or get up and eat since yesterday. She did go out on porch, with a leash, so she is capable of walking, but not down the steps. She sleeps, and then moves to another position and sleeps some more. Normally, she is enthusiastic about company and FOOD but not yesterday. She takes Das uquin,though she turned that down this a.m. too. I feel like she isnt eating so so doesnt have to go. I dont care if she goes in house, and will buy piddle pads to encourage if that would help. Any advice would help. She has always been kinda timid about anything new or scary, and then she is ok

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Labrador. What is the Labrador's name?

Molly

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly?

She is usually very healthy, regular vet appts- just had her mani/pedi a week ago at vet. She has slowed down some in the last year-- had UTI in summer so took long dose-a month of the anti-biotics other than that no illnesses.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Molly today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

How long has this been going on?

Does she seem stiff at all when she moves around?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since about 1 pm yesterday-- and yes she is hesitant, and does seem still- though she gets up quickly she walks slowly

Based on your description of what she is doing, I would be suspicious of pain in her hips or her hindlimbs as a cause of her not eating and not wanting to do much. You mentioned that she takes dasuquin, has she been diagnosed with arthritis?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wasnt at the appt, and my husband has died since then, but about 3 years ago he came home with the meds and every vet appt has said continue giving it to her. She has always moved slowly after sleep, and always curled up tiny for a lab (so we suspected caged as a pup)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She wouldnt even take THAT this morning, when she came in from porch I tried to give it to her-even though she hadnt gone off the porch, just to try for normal routine and to give her the meds

Dasuquin is a supplement that helps the joints move with less discomfort, but if she has developed some arthritis, sometimes they need a something more for pain. Larger breed dogs like labs commonly suffer from arthritis. Of course, there could be something else going on as it is very unusual for a lab to refuse food, but pain can be a cause of anorexia. I would suggest that you have her examined for this and perhaps they will want to run some bloodwork as well to make sure there is nothing going on with her internal organs. If it is pain related, they will be able to prescribe something to help her feel more comfortable. In the meantime, I would not offer her any over the counter medications for pain as most are not safe and may limit what your vet will be able to offer.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian