Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Older dog (shepherd/goldie mix, 90 lbs, 14 years), wheezes…

Customer Question
Older dog (shepherd/goldie mix...

Older dog (shepherd/goldie mix, 90 lbs, 14 years), wheezes badly and foams at mouth when walked in the cold weather. This started only 5 days ago. Returns to normal in minutes when brought inside, though sometimes vomits.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Nope, he's just old and crippled. On lots of meds. Tramadol, Rimadyl, Gabapentin, Apaquel, supplements.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about your dog wheezing, foaming, and vomiting.

How cold is it outside when this happens?

Is he showing any other symptoms, such as a change in appetite, weight loss, increased thirst?

Loss of appetite but we’ve been dealing with that for a few weeks.

That is actually an important clue. An older dog with a loss of appetite usually has some underlying illness or reason for the appetite change. Occasional vomiting worries me as well, that he may have something going on.

How cold does it get there (here it gets below 0 degrees F, so we may have different definitions of cold!)?

It could be the cold air hitting his airways is irritating, causing the wheezing and foaming that gets better when he gets inside. It could also be that the exercise affects his heart or lungs. Does he have a heart murmur? Has he had a chest Xray?

The vomiting has only happened once and it was probably because he ate just before (usually we feed him after his walk). Typically it’s more dry heaving and foam.Definitely seems like the cold air causes it. He’s ok unless he gets too excited and breathes heavy. Today it was seeing another dog. Has been in the teens and is about zero this morning.No history of heart issues, but no X-ray either.

If this continues or gets worse, a good listen to his heart and lungs with a stethoscope and possibly a chest Xray might be a good idea.

With this change in his appetite, I would do blood tests if that has not been done recently, if this were my own dog. A change in appetite in older dogs is a signal something is wrong.

I have not heard from you! Please let me know if my answer was helpful and if you have other questions.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian