Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 4 mos old puppy found a piece of copper mesh (like the…

Customer Question
Good morning. Our 4...

Good morning. Our 4 mos old puppy found a piece of copper mesh (like the kind used for scrubbing pans) and started pulling it apart. Small pieces of very thin copper were on the floor and we were able to get the item out of her mouth as she was pulling it apart. I don’t think she had it for more than 30 seconds- a minute.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the puppy?

She seems fine, but in case she swallowed any of the pieces, should I have her checked?

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?

Daisy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?

I don’t think so -

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

How long has it been since this happened?

It was about 20 minutes sgo

Please give me 5 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Whoops - I accepted call request before I saw your note. If you don’t need to discuss, s typed answer is fine. Thanks

Friend, the main concern as you may already know would be the mesh becoming obstructed or perforating the intestinal tract. However, based on what you are seeing that she had it in her mouth for such a short time there is a good possibility that she may not have swallowed any or at least anything significant. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the mesh can damage the esophagus on the way out. Instead, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change her diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to bind any pieces of the mesh and help move it out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract.

4- If during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe her and change her diet as above then wean her back into her regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter