Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My miniature poodle 10kg dog's having a case of pancreatitis…

My miniature poodle 10kg...

My miniature poodle 10kg dog's having a case of pancreatitis (yes we fed her some fatty pork over Christmas as treats only ) and she has suffered before. We have given her one tramal 20mg and about ml of mylanta. She is still showing signs of abdominal pain with stretching and arching. She has only eaten a few morsels of chicken in the last 24 hours and dont intend to feed her until tomorrow. Can we give her more Mylanta liquid and tramal?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your miniature poodle will be able to digest that. What is the miniature poodle's name and age?

Missy .8yrs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Missy?

8yrs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Missy?

Only that she has had this before on two occasions and we have dieted her out of it, but she is in pain and she is taking too long to show signs of improving significantly . It is now late night here and we live rural so no vet service available without travel.

Both mentions of meat were cooked not raw.
12/26/2017
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry that you are going through this. I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.
As you know pancreatitis can be very serious and so I I'll make a few suggestions but if she is not improving, you may have to take her in to a vet tomorrow or Wednesday.
I would not give any more mylanta. You can redose the tramadol every 8-12 hours. The dose is typically 2 mg /kg.
I would also recommend giving pepcid AC famotidine. This is an acid reducer that can help with stomach upset. She would get 5 mg twice daily.
When you do start feeding her start slow with very small portions. You may also want to add water to the food to ensure that she is staying hydrated.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions. I will check back in with you in a few hours to see how things are going. If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for about a week. So keep me posted.
Sincerely ***** *****
You mentioned pepcid Ac famotine? Is this available in a commercial name medicine and is it available in Australia? Can you describe what's in it for further reference to our vet if questioned later ?
Are you familiar with the liquid Mylanta that we have dosed her with? This is not RANITIDINE. Major ingredients are magnesium hydroxide 400mg, alum hydroxide 400mg, and simethicone 40mg in a 10 ml dose. Does your advice still stand in addition to our previous question about PepcidAC Famotidine? Thanks
Famotidine. It is simply an acid reducer and Is similar to zantac etc. It is simply decreases acid production to help calm the stomach. It is usually found in any pharmacy.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
I do not traditionally use mylanta and given those ingredients I would not is on a regular basis.
There are so many other better, safer meds to use for this condition.
Pepcid AC is much safer to use.
thanks
Again if she is not improving then I strongly recommend an exam and treatment. Some dogs with pancreatitis get very dehydrated and need much more extensive treatment. Monitor her closely and keep me posted. I will check in with you in a few hours.
She is sleeping deeply now and has drunk water beforehand. She seems calm . As it is 11.30 pm I think we'll leave her and it until the morning and assess her then for a vet's visit. thanks .
That sounds great. No reason to rush in now. I just wanted you to know how serious this can be and just you pay attention to her symptoms.
Some dogs can recover just fine at home with the proper treatment and a little TLC. Sounds like you really pay close attention to her.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Nicole
I Just wanted to check in with you and see how things are going. Let me know if you have any questions.
All under control thanks