Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate some rat poison; she was chewing on the bar of.

Customer Question
My dog ate some...

My dog ate some rat poison; she was chewing on the bar of

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what your dog ate?

Just one bite bar...we gave her hydrogen peroxide mixed with milk and she threw up about 5 times

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She is a Maltese-shih tzu mix...we have given her 3 doses of charcoal tablets-1 within an hour of throwing up, one and hour after then another at 12:30 am

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago?

Which poison/brand was it?

When you made her vomit did she bring all she ate back up?

What is the dose of charcoal you have given total and what is her weight?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She was chewing on a bar of Just One Bite mice poison...we immediately gave her hydrogen peroxide and milk and she threw up about 5-7 times...We gave her 5 capsules of. Mg charcoal at 5:00 pm, 6:00 pm and then around 12:30 am...we are probably getting ready to try and give her 5 mir
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She weighs about 10-12 pounds
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The charcoal caplets were 260 mg each

Thank you,

Now if that is the brand she had, it contains bromethalin which is the poison that can cause neurological signs ( impaired movement, paralysis, muscle tremors, seizures, and CNS depression). Usually it can cause signs within hours but sometimes can be delayed for days. So, we need to plan to keep a very close eye. That said, you have done really well here with inducing vomiting right away. The charcoal is good but you need to adjust that dose. She needs a bigger (grams not milligrams) dose to bind the toxin. So, give at least 10grams but up to 40 grams every 8 hours for 24 hours. Since you have those low dose capsules, open or crush them and mix with food (or water to syringe feed) to get that into her. Otherwise, monitor closely but keep things calm/quiet to reduce nervous system stimulation. As long as she remains stable, we can keep an eye but any of the above signs and we'd want her to the local vet for IV fluids and anti-seizure treatment to get her safely through this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I go ahead and give her another large dose now? I live in a small town and there are not any vets around open-I plan to take her when they open at 8

Hi again,

I would do that now just so we can bind what may still be in her system. And the hope is because you have done perfectly here, we will just be mopping up residue from this and will avoid any adverse signs for her.

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK I'm going to empty out the contents of these 260 MG each capsules how many do I need to open and put into her food to get her to eat now

You would need to open 38 to get 10 grams of the charcoal.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian