Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 7 year old has a discharge from her back end. Our 7year…

Customer Question
Our 7 year old...

Our 7 year old ***** ***** has a discharge from her back end

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Our 7year old ***** ***** has a discharge from her back end

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Around her bottom there's a greeny discharge

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Looks infected she seems ok in herself

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Missy

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is it from her rectum or vagina?

If it is from her vagina, is she spayed?

Is it odorous?

Does she have any discomfort with her back end?

Any straining to urinate or passing small volumes of urine often?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Her rectum no obvious odour she hasn't urinated yet

Hello again,

Now I am glad to see that it is rectal as that does allow us to exclude urinary issues as well as vaginal/uterine infections. That said, to see green discharge from the rectum usually is a sign of anal gland issues. It may be that these are just overfilled and leaking but more often its an early stage sign of anal gland infection. Therefore, with this in mind, it would be ideal to have her local vet check her glands as soon as they are open (its not an emergency but can be an urgent issue if she were to become painful with them). Otherwise, we can start adding some canned pumpkin to her meals as a fiber source since that can bulk up stools to aid in her expressing the glands naturally. Or if you are keen and have someone to hold Missy for you, you could also try to gently express them at home (How To HERE @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ__BbuOmVc). Of course, if you did that and found the discharge to be more odorous once expressed then we'd need your vet to dispense antibiotics to nip infection in the bud.

Happy holidays,

Dr. B.

**************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian