Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I’m a little worried about my dog. She has really bad gas…

Customer Question
I’m a little worried...

I’m a little worried about my dog. She has really bad gas and is gagging coughing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

She has kennel cough when we got her from the humane society. She is barely a year old

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Is the kennel cough currently being treated? If so, what medications are being given?

She was able to kick kennel cough, and no changes have been made. We don’t feed our dogs human food. Not unless it is plain Cooke chicken

1) When did she stop having symptoms of kennel cough?

2) Can you share a video of the coughing? If not, does it look and sound like any of these?

Cardiac cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv02RYW2TfY

Kennel cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZusGtj3NxcU

Collapsing trachea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=042OsjZ5Hvs

Reverse sneezing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

Laryngeal paralysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsv5o3pP00E

I guess it sounds like kennel cough
is she more susceptible to kennel cough because she has had it before?

Not typically but she can be re-exposed and develop it again. Has she been boarded, groomed, to doggy day care, dog park, dog store or other high-dog-traffic areas in the last 21 days?

When did she stop having symptoms of kennel cough from the last bout?

She hasn’t been to any of those places. But she interacts with the dogs next door a lot through a chain link fence.She stopped coughing around the end of September

It's very possible if the other dog has had any of the above mentioned exposure that symptoms could have been transmitted.

Most kennel cough cases are viral, but secondary bacterial bronchopneumonia can develop and become a major health hazard for dogs. In some more severe cases, hospitalization may be needed. I would recommend an exam and having your vet start your companion on antibiotics to prevent more problems in the near future. As far as calming the coughing, for the time being you can use robitussin at the following dosage if no other medications are being given: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=26+1303&aid=1395 Every vet has a different kennel cough treatment protocol and may ask you to either continue or discontinue the robitussin once examined.

To help with the gas that she is experiencing you can provide gas-x, as well: https://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/gas-x-for-dogs/

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse