Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Pitt dog Bella has issues. She will for NO REASON wake up…

Customer Question
My Pitt bull dog Bella...
My Pitt bull dog Bella has issues. She will for NO REASON wake up agitated. Barking, running off to ?? Nowhere?? from a sound sleep!! When she gets into a catotonic/hypitnotic state (usually thunderstorm or fireworks) shes inconsoliable she'll trot a pathway around & around. If i stand in the way she will veer slghtly to go around me and continue. I dont know what to do. It is painful to watch and I get frustrated at not knowing what to do to help, please please help me. Help her please
Sincerely,
Sammy_rowdy
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 6 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech. I would like to assist you.

I understand the anxiety issue your dog is having. I would video the episode from waling up from sleep to barking and aimlessly running. This may be seizure activity in her sleep. It would be wise to get a few mins of Video for the Vet.

As far as the Noise Phobia, there are medications that Bell can be put on to help her through the Anxiety. My big Pitbull has anxiety issues with a New baby in the house, so I myself, had to have her put on an antianxiety medication that she takes daily.

The Video will help your Vet to determine if the walink barking is a behaviorial or a Medical issue.

In either case when it is determined what is causing the behavior, the Vet can get the proper medication or suggest behavioral modification.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

How is Bella doing? was she seen by a Vet?

Joan