Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our dog has been throwing up all day. Not that i know of.

Customer Question
Our dog has been...

Our dog has been throwing up all day

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that i know of

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Trixie is her name and she is 9 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Trixie?

Trixie has a heart murmur

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear that Trixie is unwell, hopefully, this is something very minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below. But be aware that this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check her over without delay. That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog which some owners use while waiting for their vet's appointment, these often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Trixie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further. Her heart condition should not be an issue by the way.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Trixie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her vomiting ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian