Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He seems to lick his penis frequently, and when I looked…

Customer Question
He seems to lick...

He seems to lick his penis frequently, and when I looked several times after, there seem to be what looked like a drop of pus on the end. He is a 10 yr. neutered male in very good health and in very good physical condition. Can you help? He gets a full screen exam once a year, blood, stool, etc. Can you help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Bogie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bogie?

Only that I take very good care of him and we walk 2 to 3 miles a day, except when I am not able, and I will do anything to keep him well.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You've described preputial discharge consisting of normal or abnormal secretions from the penile sheath (prepuce). The discharge can be physiologic (normal) or pathologic and either primary or secondary to other reproductive or systemic disorders. Primary disorders include anatomic abnormalities, trauma, a foreign body inside the prepuce, infection, or neoplasia. Secondary disorders include prostatic disease, a hormonal imbalance, urinary tract infection, urethral neoplasia, and bladder disease.

Because Bogie appears to be sensitive in that area as evidenced by his frequent licking, his vet will want to reflect the prepuce back - this might entail sedation of Bogie - and directly visualize the penis and prepuce for injury and neoplasia, and swab for culture and cyologic examination. A complete urinalysis and prostate palpation should be performed as well. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.