Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is older and was loosing weight looked like he was…

Customer Question
My dog is older...

My dog is older and was loosing weight looked like he was never fed so I bought him a Prosence dewormer and VetIQ hip and joint I gave him the hip and joint in double dose as it suggested, and the wormer as prescribed. After the wormer dose was finished my dog has been gaining weight ribs gone thought he was doing great but today he is very lethargic can barely stand up he can walk but looks like he has gained to much weight to hold up. Any suggestions

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Older. How old is Older?

~10 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Older?

He probably doesn’t get a lot of exercise

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Sleeping can barely hold himself up

When did your companion last have a veterinary examination?

When was bloodwork last performed? Has he had any recent x-rays of his back, hips or rear limbs?

Can you share a video of him ambulating?

Does the weight look evenly distributed or in a certain place on the body?

You can call me

I'm afraid I cannot offer a call at this time. The website offers call to all customers. Can you answer the questions above?

Haven’t been to a vet in ~3 years
I got his age wrong he is ~14
His back legs are swallen
Sorry not sure what ambulating is

Ambulating means walking. I'd like to see a video of what you're seeing. Is this possible?

Just found out that someone in family has been feeding him table food about 3 days ago

Ok I’ll try and get one now

I'll stand by.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A dog who "looks like he has gained too much weight to hold up" is likely to suffer from an abdominal effusion - a collection of free fluid in the abdominal cavity. Swollen back legs indicates a peripheral and dependent edema - a collection of fluid in the subcutaneous spaces. When edema is found in conjunction with an abdominal effusion, right-sided heart failure, liver, kidney, and bowel failure all need to be considered. A failing liver can't produce enough albumin; failing kidneys may be leaking albumin into the urine; failing bowels may be leaking albumin into the feces. Albumin is a large protein needed to keep fluid inside vessels and out of spaces such as the abdominal cavity and subcutaneous areas.

His vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam paying particular attention to your dog's heart and by performing diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. You should know within 24 hours how your dog might be helped. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian