Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Beagle is squinting in his left eye but it only seems yo be…

Customer Question
Hey my Beagle is...

Hey my Beagle is squinting in his left eye but it only seems yo be at night time as throughout the day and yesterday he was fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

Well he is squinting in his left eye and it is red but it only seems to be in the evenings

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

He doesn't seem to be in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

No and 7 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

MO

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about MO?

No he's perfectly healthy

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Mo today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

If the redness and the squinting keeps recurring, it should be evaluated. Irritation or allergic conjunctivitis is one possible cause, but there are other things that can make a dog act that way including anterior uveitis (inflammation of the eyeball itself), dry eye, scratches or even glaucoma. None of these conditions can be identified by visual evaluation alone and further testing is often needed to differentiate.

It is best to keep any discharge from building up around his eyes by wiping gently with a warm water cloth. You can try flushing his eyes with eyewash or saline solution (like contact wearers use). He may also get some relief from an artificial tear type solution applied as frequently as needed to keep the eyes lubricated. The product called Genteal® is available over the counter (OTC) as a solution or a gel. One other OTC product that may provide relief is an antihistamine drop called Zaditor® (generic name Ketotifen). It is used to relieve the itching of allergic conjunctivitis.

If you are not seeing improvement or relief, I would have Mo examined by your veterinarian to make sure that there is nothing else going on as mentioned above. Eye problems can progress quickly so I wouldn't wait to long to seek help if it continues.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian