Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He's a wiener dog/mutt that ate a half pound Reese's peanut…

Customer Question
Hi he's a wiener...

Hi he's a wiener dog/mutt that ate a half pound Reese's peanut butter cup. So far he's not acting sick but I need to know if I need to make him puke or take him to the vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's 7 possibly 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bear?

Just that he's a mix of wiener dog and king Charles Cavalier and he has eaten smaller doeses of chocolate before and hasnt gotten sick

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Luckily there isn't a lot of chocolate in the peanut butter cups but it will add up and this can definitely lead to gi upset within a few hours. With this ingestion, you may see mild to moderate symptoms which can include

• Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting induced, tonight please be monitoring for symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, increased excitement, water intake increase, muscle tremors, lethargy

If you see muscle tremors, vomiting is not subsiding, or hyper excitability then please consider a veterinary er because these can be issues with chocolate toxicity. But if you see gi upset only then this should pass within the next 24 hours and I suspect this will be the case as long as he doesn't have a history of heart disease to compound the concerns

Typically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then your dog should be just fine but taking a few precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days
- Leash walks to help the chocolate pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if this symptom is seen

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian