Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My yorkie hasn't had a bowel moment for 2 days, the bad

Customer Question
My yorkie hasn't had...

My yorkie hasn't had a bowel moment for 2 days, the bad thing is he won't eat dog food only chicken, is there anything I can give him to help him go

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Yorkie's name?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harry?

No he's pretty healthy really

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Harry today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

How old is Harry?

How long has he been refusing to eat dog food?

Is he eating a fair amount of chicken?

Harry is 5 he has been only eating chicken for about one year, and he does eat two meals of chicken a day

If he seems comfortable for the night and you want to try something on your own before you take him to your vet, you could safely give him two things that may help. The first is the laxative called Dulcolax® The generic name is Bisacodyl. It is available over the counter here and comes as a 5 mg tab. Give one tab twice a day. The other thing that helps to soften the stool is a product for humans called Miralax (or polyetheylene glycol) It is a powder that you can sprinkle on food and it works by drawing water into the stool to keep it soft. Start with 1/4 teaspoon twice a day. Try to increase his fluid intake as much as you can by offering water or tuna juice to encourage drinking or add to his food to make it as soupy as he will allow.

Canned pumpkin, Bran, or Psyllium (Metamucil) are good sources of fiber and help with constipation as well. About 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per meal is what I would use.

If he continues to eat, but not pass stool or if he stops eating or starts vomiting, he should be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

The weight of my form is is 7lbs is 1 ducolax still safe
Sorry I meant York is is 7lbs

Yes, one of the 5 mg tabs would be safe.

I see that you opened two other posts about Harry. If you have further questions, please reply back on this post and I will be alerted and can reply.