Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is constipated he has been trying to go for 2 days,

Customer Question
My dog is constipated...

My dog is constipated he has been trying to go for 2 days, he has vomited two or tree times, I gave him a stool softner about 11:30 today, he is very lethargic

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

He is on phenobarbital twice a day and also takes denamarin for liver function

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

How old is your dog?

What is he doing that makes you think he is constipated? Is he straining? Is he passing anything?

Has he still been eating and drinking over these past few days?

He is 9 years old he has been drinking when I give him water with a syringe he has not eaten in 2 days he is straining trying to go but nothing he has vomited a few times clear liquid

If he is not eating that may be why he is not passing stool. He may not be constipated at all and the straining may be related to something else entirely, but it cannot be determined without an exam. Dogs with colitis (inflammation of the colon) will also strain as if to defecate, but pass no stool. Sometimes dogs with obstructions will strain. It is the vomiting and lethargy that have me most worried. I would definitely recommend that you have him examined as soon as you can if this continues.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

could this be pancreatitis he has had this before

Could be. Dogs with pancreatitis will often vomit, become lethargic and have abdominal pain. The straining may just be throwing us off.

thank you so much for your help, I will be taking him in to see the doc on Tuesday. Merry Christmas

You are most welcome. I am glad to hear that. Merry Christmas to you too!