Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Bryn a shepherd mix, age:10, terrible rear hips can’t…

Customer Question
Hello I’m Esibit, My Bryn...
Hello I’m Esibit, My Bryn a shepherd mix, age:10, terrible rear hips can’t stand without meds
Severe arthritis in rear hips take huge effort to stand rattle sounding breathing.
Currently on Neurotin 300mg 2x per day.
Without me med he can’t get up and pulls himself around on floor. Even with Med. He has gotten worse. Low growling sound and rattling as he breaths. Actually asks for meds if it’s close to next dose time. Has horrible smelling gas, body Odor and breath also just started in last several months Taking on huge amounts of water.
Eating but food he’s had for months for senior dogs just started to want anything but the food. Prior injuries are licked obsessively and that area has no hair. Cognitive thinking in decline. Hearing in question even 10-12 ft away from me. Has gone from refusing to go out to asking to go every two hours. But when he’s outside stops dead at open door and have to tap him on back him to come. Sees and hears something are refuses to go into his enormous paddock. Other times he goes out easily. His legs and down to paws lay oddly as he sleeps. When trying to move him gently he has turned on me threatening me with teeth bearing and goes to bite me. But doesn’t bite hard.
Clearly in pain and wants up on couch or bed never has been allowed on furniture. Actually takes his bedding and foam moves it into a pile and lays on the thicker area.
Has tumor like fat deposits on face back legs. Has been to vet. Was told he was happy and fattty deposits are nothing
He’s turned really grey fast. And wants to walk or run in backyard but nothing work. I feel he’s dying. But the covering vet tech says he’s happy so we won’t put him down they would foster him. I was livid. I was told by his regular vet they would understand if I chose to put him down. It wasn’t what I wanted to do. But now I’m concerned if he’s dying I have no way to get him to his vet etc.
is he dying? Or just getting older. His decline has been a fast one less than 3 months. I don’t want him in pain and even with Med. He is still in pain.
Any suggestions? I dread putting this pup down but don’t want to be in this level of pain
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear about your dog's issues, it sounds like most of is problems stem from arthritis. Currently, he is only on one medication for this problem. We have a lot of room for improvement here I'd say. There are many prescription medications that can help him with pain. The mainstay of treatment in arthritis in dogs is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like carprofen (it goes by a lot of other names, but that is the generic name). This type of drug is also called an NSAID, and is similar to Ibuprofen in humans (although Ibuprofen is toxic to dogs). NSAIDs are very good for arthritis pain and do not cause drowsiness that you will occasionally see with Neurotin. I think that medication might help him the most. I would take him to the vet sometime this week and ask about starting it. In the meantime, you can try baby aspirin (81 mg) 1 tablet by mouth twice a day for the pain. You can also get him on glucosamine and chondroitin supplements 1 capsule twice a day as well as 1 capsule twice a day of Omega 3 fatty acids. These supplements have been shown to help reduce arthritis pain in dogs as well. I think he will probably need something a bit strong than Aspirin long term, however. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Thank you. He was on an anti inflammatory. When first he went to the vet. It helped to a point but not as well as was hoped for. Bryn from a puppy has been attacked by 2 Pitbulls by my neighbors and my back fence. They were able to jump higher that the stockade fence and they pulled him up near an opening on their side then dropped him. He was empalled on a broken slab which had a sharp angle and it started to rip the skin and fur up along the muscle. From his knee to his penis area.
It was horiffing but the vet on call was able to surgically repair the damage and had to tack the skin and fur to the muscle. It’s take a huge mess for him as a puppy. He still licks and licks that area. For 9 years. But not like now. This is my fear that all the meds and supplements are ok but clearly not enough. I’m really more concerned about his rattle like breathing. It sounds like railing and not like snoring but like he’s rattling.
If I didn’t state that clearly if it didn’t get to you as there were issues with the sending of request etc. that’s my worry along with the pain and pulling him myself around as he can’t stand. Thank you

Poor baby. There are other pain medications that can be tried instead of or in addition to an NSAID, however, they are all prescription strength. The rattle like breathing is definitely concerning. Given his age, it could be just about anything from an infection, an issue with his heart, inflammation from allergies etc. The next step to really determine what is going on would be a chest xray. Some people will try a little Benadryl (1 mg/lb) every 12 hours to see if the antihistamine can help some with inflammation in the chest, but it would be best to get an xray first to see what is going on in his chest definitively.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian