Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

His front leg from the toes up about eight inches is

Customer Question
His front leg from...

His front leg from the toes up about eight inches is swollen. It seems to be infected below the round soft pad on the back of his lower leg. I have amoxicillin and need to know the dosage for him. He weighs about 65 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

He’s a mix of chow German Shepard pit bull

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. There are all sorts of infections the chow can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the chow's name and age?

Bosco

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Bosco?

About 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bosco?

He plays tough with one of my other dogs. I thought he had sprained or torn a ligament in his foot at first. But it has swollen up and he has licked the spot below his pad and it looks like the wetness in that area is yellowish. He was in a fight five days ago. He wasn’t physically injured. He had pinned down another of my dogs when she tried to get him. He didn’t hurt her.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bosco. Amoxicillin can be dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight twice daily. The adverse effect profile for that antibiotic includes gastrointestinal distrubances (anorexia, vomiting and/or diarrhea). I'm concerned that because you're already seeing pus (the yellow) an abscess has formed and antibiotics have difficulty penetrating through pus. Bosco may need the attention of his vet for surgical lancing, flushing, and debridement (removal of devitalized tissue) of an abscess. The antibiotic can localize the infected area, however, facilitating a vet's knowing where surgical intervention is best performed in such a widespread swelling. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have 500mg capsules. Will that work? He’s eating fine and drinking his water. Should I give him food with the pill.

Yes, 500 mg twice daily is a good dose for Bosco. Yes, given with food may minimize GI upset. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help. If he isn’t better by Tuesday I’ll take him to his doctor

You're quite welcome. Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian