Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5.5 yr old German Shepherd has a limp in her back right…

Customer Question
My 5.5 yr old...

My 5.5 yr old German Shepherd has a limp in her back right leg. She will walk on it but slowly and limps. She stands with her foot on the floor but shifts her weight to the other back leg.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wounds in the foot, I checked her nails, pads, between the toes

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Kimber

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kimber?

She was playing hard in the snow yesterday, she is an active dogs we walk and run a lot. She is more the working version of a shepherd not show She has high hips not slouched

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now given Kimber's history I'd be suspicious that she has strained/sprained the muscle in this leg. Of course, there would also be concern of a possible tear or strain to the tendons in her knee. Now as long as she isn't overtly painful, we'd want to just monitor her for the next few days. While doing so, we'd want to restrict activity and rest this leg. Specifically, we'd only want to have lead walks into the garden to do her business and then back inside (no stairs, jumping, or climbing on furniture). As well you can use a bit of supportive care to help this settle for her. If she is amenable, you can consider massaging or warm compressing the leg. If you don't have a warm compress on hand, you can make a microwaveable one by filling a sock 2/3rd full with rice and popping it in the microwave for a few minutes (of course, do give it a shake afterwards to distribute the heat and make sure its not too warm before use).

As well, provided she has no health issues and is on no medication, you could consider treating her with a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE). This can be given every 12-24 hours with or after food. Of course, any signs of GI upset and we'd have to discontinue using it.

Finally, if you rest her and try the above but she still shows lameness afterwards, then we'd want to follow up with her vet. They can check the leg for any signs of injury or soft tissue inflammation. Depending on their findings, they can dispense dog safe pain relief/anti-inflammatory medication (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox, etc) to settle any residual strain and discomfort and get her using the leg properly again sooner.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )*

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.