Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 10 yr old, 8lb yorkie, is having what appears to be

Customer Question
My 10 yr old...

My 10 yr old, 8lb yorkie, is having what appears to be seizures (daily) followed by heavy breathing, until he finally sleeps it off a little. Constantly unstable on his legs. He walks but cautiously.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Gizmo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gizmo?

Not that i can think of. Other wise a healthy dog. Oh, his appetite is down, eating, but about half normal.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been having seizures?

Does he circle in one direction at times, press his head into walls, or have a tilted head?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Could he have eaten something harmful (ie medications/drugs, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any chance of a head trauma?

Have any tests or treatments been tried?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

I just noticed it starting Saturday. He doesn' walk in circles, put his head on the wall, or walk in circles. His gums are pink. I dont thinking got into anything and his food hasn't changed

Hello again,

Now most of Gizmo signs are side effects of the seizures but to see these daily seizures raises worries of a brain lesion. Specifically, we'd be worried about a brain bleed, swelling, focal infection or mass for Gizmo. Though at his age, we could also see this with severe liver or kidney disease. With these in mind and given that he is constantly wobbly (suggesting the issue is continuous even if he doesn't keep having seizures all day long), we would really want to have him seen by the local vet as soon as possible. A neurological exam and bloods would be our ideal next step for him to help narrow down these worries further. If this is organ based, there are treatments that can help. But if there is a brain lesion, then an MRI or at least treating for the seizures would be best to help wee Gizmo.

Happy holidays,

Dr. B.

************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work on the holidays. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian