Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy 6 months old has had Diarrhea for all day yesterday…

Customer Question
Hello my puppy 6 months...
Hello my puppy 6 months old has had Diarrhea for all day long yesterday and now is throwing up just a little bike. I am freaking out because it is Christmas and of course if he gets sick with Diarrhea or throws up I will take him to the vets. I was just wondering if he doesn't get sick anymore if I could take him to the vets tomorrow.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I am very upset and trying to stay calm. I don't know what is wrong with him. I really don't want to take him to the vets on Christmas. I checked his gums they are still wet and his skin Shen I pull on it goes back down.
12/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has he had any more vomiting?

What does the diarrhea look like?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

His gums are still pink and he just ran around playing. I fed him wet dog food a day ago for the first time. I thought he could be getting sick from the wet food but I find it strange he is still has Diarrhea and vomit just a little bit last night

Hello again,

First, I am glad to see he is still in good spirits and if you did feed a new type of food it could certainly cause diarrhea (less likely to cause vomiting though) for a few days. Of course, as we have the vomiting as well, we'd be wary of this all being due to a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa, or dietary indiscretion.

With this in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle him. To start, you can try giving small meals of an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can also be added to these meals to firm stools and support digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, we usually feed this until they settle and then wean slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren’t sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). Though any of these signs and that’d be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Also if he is very loose, you can try a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, we can use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Or Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which are OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics already added in. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Finally, while the vomiting sounds to be the milder of his signs, we do just want to monitor that. Of course, if he is nauseous at all, we can also use an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, give it 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down that is usually a red flag for us to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Overall, his signs do raise a few concerns for us. Therefore, we’d want to start the above to try to settle this for him. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, check for fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister infections present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get him settled and back to feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian