Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just got home and my dog's crate was full of vomit. It…

Customer Question
I just got home...

I just got home and my dog's crate was full of vomit. It looks like she vomited her dinner without digesting it and there appears to be bile.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

I don't know. It's 2 am here and the neighbors who feed the dogs are in bed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

She seems to be acting ok now. her name is ***** ***** she's 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Betty?

She's a pitbull mix

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She used the bathroom and the stool seemed solid. And she hasn't thrown up since I've been home about half an hour now. But there was a lot of vomit. It almost looks like she may have swallowed a Himalayan yak butter treat piece that I had thrown away.
She now just pooped all over the floor. It's not diarrhea but it was very soft when I cleaned it up
12/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Has she had any vomiting since you got home?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No vomiting, just soft but solid stool. She was in her crate and my neighbors fed her in her crate. There was nothing near her she could have gotten into. She can keep water down. No belly discomfort.Her gums are a pale pink and her mouth feels moist
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago

Hello again,

Now if her stools are a bit soft, then it may just be a reaction to what she was fed, a dietary indiscretion, or a mild GI bug. With these in mind, we can try some home supportive care for her To start, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can also be added to these meals to firm stools and support digestion.

As well, if she is very loose, then we could also use a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if this is infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, we most often use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI and should all we need to do provided it is just in reaction to what she was fed or something she may have had.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian