Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Nothing he is fine. Pomeranian 14 lb he takes hydrocodone I…

Customer Question
Nothing he is fine ...

Nothing he is fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Pomeranian 14 lb he takes hydrocodone I gave My water pill by mistake the pharmacist said it should be fine I just want to make sure

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Pomeranian?

Nothing I gave him wrong pill I gave him 1/2 tablet of Tera hydrochloride orothiazide 25 mg 1/2 tab by mistake

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Pomeranian seem to hurt?

No where he looks fine I just am asking if he can get sick

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the Pomeranian eating normally?

Yup

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the Pomeranian having trouble peeing or pooing?

No Can the water pill harm him

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is the Pomeranian behaving differently?

He is fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Pomeranian's name and age?

Benny 7 he’s acting normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Benny?

7 Can the pill harm him

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Benny?

He takes thyroid meds and coughing meds hycodan 5 mg 1/2 pill and levthroxide

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now in this case, I do agree with the pharmacist as this drug is quite a mild one. Furthermore, which they may not be aware of but it is a drug we use at dogs and do so at a higher dose. So, if Benny only had half of this tablet it is a low dose and if anything, we may just seem some short term GI upset, increased thirst and urination. So, we'd not be overly worried here and just want to make sure he has access to water, access to the yard to pass urine as needed, and can feed a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken or cottage cheese) to offset any stomach upset but otherwise we'd expect no long term harm.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.