Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a swollen red vulva and has suffered tract

Customer Question
My dog has a...

My dog has a swollen red vulva and has suffered tract infections often, trying to find a way to get her some reason

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Relief until the vet opens on tuesday

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Jasmine and she is 6

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She was treated quite recently for an infection I suspect it has reoccured. Really need to get her some relief. She keeps rubbing on everything and making it worse
12/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

We can try some Benadryl to help relax her and if there is an allergic component it can help reduce itching.

Do you have any calamine lotion at home?

Do you have any Aloe vera gel?

Benadryl is dosed at 1 mg per pound every 8-12 hours and may make Jasmine sleepy.

You can also do some hydrotherapy. This is where we allow cool water to run over an inflamed area reducing local inflammation. You can do this 7 minutes at a time 3-4 times a day.

If you have calamine lotion or aloe vera you can dab it on the irritated areas of her vulva ( not inside just outside) to help reduce irritation.

Other than that there is not going to be home remedies that can help. If the above methods do not get her any relief you may need to take her to an emergency clinic for medications more specific to skin infection.

Good luck with Jasmine. Let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney