Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Not eating, vomiting & diarrhea. All I know is that it may…

Customer Question
Not eating, vomiting &...

Not eating, vomiting & diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

All I know is that it may have eaten adult dog food, don't really know

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Ellie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ellie?

?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Ellie is not feeling well. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is Ellie?

2- Did Ellie get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- How much does Ellie weigh?

About 3 months old
All I know is maybe adult dog food
Maybe around 1 pound

1- How often is she vomiting?

2- Any blood in the stool?

3- What breed is she?

She is vomiting just ever so often no blood in vomit or stool she is a malti-pom
We've been trying to feed her some soft puppy food with some Pedialyte and water with also little chicken broth or cream of chicken soup just something on her stomach giving a little Pepto also

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call. Thank you.

Friend, vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. In a puppy, common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc. to name a few causes. In this case, it is a bit of a concerned that she is so small, she can become hypoglycemic (low blood sugar). This is what you can try:

1- Do not give her Pepto Bismol.

2- Give her 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of honey, pancake or karo syrup directly into her mouth.

3- After giving the syrup wait 1/2 hour, if she does not vomit then feed her a small amount of a bland diet like rice with boiled boneless chicken. If possible, blend the food and feed her with a dropper.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above I would have her checked by ER veterinarian. If she is able to hold the food down continue feeding her a small amount every 4-6 hours.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dog Veterinarian: DrRoyC,
 replied 2 months ago
DrRoyC
Phone call session started
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian