Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a mini schnauzer. His name is Stoney, and he is

Customer Question
Hi! I have a...

Hi! I have a mini schnauzer. His name is ***** ***** he is almost 13 years old. He was in the hospital this week because he was very lethargic. He also seemed to be in pain. He has had a lot of difficulty with his back legs for quite some time. The last doctor put him on Gabapentin. That does not seem to be working. He can barely walk tonight. I have some Rymadyl left over from the beginning of summer. The hospital found out that he also has a very low white blood count, but they are not sure why. The doctor sent home Amoxicillian for that. Since it is Christmas Eve, I can't find a vet open. Can I try the Rimadyl? He is also on thyroxine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Stoney. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stoney?

I knpw that he has arthritis in his spine, which effects his legs. They did a laser treatment, which helped a little.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you.

If he is only on Gabapentin, Thyroxine, and Amoxicillin, you can use the Rimadyl to help keep him comfortable over the holiday.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian