Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog sounds like a seal barking. What can I do to help…

Customer Question
My dog sounds like...

My dog sounds like a seal barking. What can I do to help her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

I don’t know she keeps coughing & it sounds like a seal barking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Miss Shadow Dancer and she is 15. She is a border collie/terrier mix & weighs 16 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Miss Shadow Dancer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She is in good health, her weight is appropriate for her size, she is going blind from cataracts & all her shots are up to date

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr G, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian
Hi aim Dr G and I would like to help you with Shadow Dancer. That coughing can be a number of things.
Does she see a vet regularly? Has she had a history of a heart murmur of heart disease?
Does she take meds daily?
How long has the coughing been going on?
Please give me some more info so I can better help you with her. Thanks!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she sees a vet regularly, the only medications she takes are flea /tick & heartworm meds. No history of any heart conditions. The coughing started approx 1 hour & 1/2 ago. She has done this type of cough a few times over the past year. Usually we gently blow into her nose & it stops. Tonight its not helping her. Last time she saw her vet was 2 months ago...updated her vaccinations, pulled 2 teeth & she get a clean bill of health.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What additional information do u need or want?
I’m glad she has no history of heart disease.
That coughing can be a collapsing trachea, it can be an infection like kennel cough, it can from throat irritation.
You can try a couple of different things to help her out.
Rubbing her throat or gently holding her nose until she coughs/snorts against your hand. Holding her upright for a minute may help too.
Some dogs can take a dose of Benedryl and have it calm this type of cough.
At 16#, she can take 1/2 of a regular adult strength 25mg Benedryl. She could also take 1 to 1 1/2 of a children’s chewable Benedryl (this would be 12.5 to 18 mg)
Last, you can try a tsp. of honey to coat the throat.
If this doesn’t help the coughing, you should see your vet for exam and chest X-rays.
For an example of the cough that goes with Reverse Sneeze...see this link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3L4v0W2_Sw
Was this information helpful? Does it fully answer your questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr G
Dr G
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian