Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dag ate some of the gel from an adult diaper, with urine…

Customer Question
My dag ate some...

My dag ate some of the gel from an adult diaper, with urine and feces on it. I'm not concerned about the urine or feces, just the gel. dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

The dog weighs 17 pounds and ate about 1 teaspoon to a tablespoon of the gel\

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

With his size, this has the potential foreign body obstruction so I would advise inducing vomiting. If your dog ingested this within the last few hours then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (ie 2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting then there are a few precautions we can take to hopefully minimize the risk of obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting without production of the object please have a veterinarian evaluate your dog.

- Feed 1-2 pieces of bread

- Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion of at least 15+ minutes

- In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push it through

- Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

- Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own if there is no initial vomiting with the peroxide.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses a few days ago. How is your dog? Were there any ill effects from the ingestion? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!