Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog just ate combat roach strip, Penne 3yrs old chihaua

Customer Question
Dog just ate combat...

Dog just ate combat roach strip

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Penne 3yrs old chihaua iltalian greyhound mix about 12 bls

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Luckily there is not enough product in these to be of concern but if the container itself is ingested then we have a potential foreign body obstruction. So as long as your dog just punctured the container and didn't actually ingest the plastic you should be just fine

As with any ingestion please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite but I suspect you won't see any ill effects from this ingestion.

If GI upset is seen then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the ingredients pass more readily of >15 minutes

- Next meal should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She only ingested the two inch by 1/4 inch sticky substance
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I do something eldr
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Else

OK great than you should be just fine but with her size you definitely want to monitor for gi upset in this scenario and you can take the precautions I listed above you shouldn't have any issues

It's always best to know what to monitor for just in case there are causes for concern

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Does this make sense? Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything today? I am going to be taking a short lunch break but will return to see if you have responded soon.

Good evening, I am going to be signing off soon and wanted to check in on Penne to see if there were any ill effects of the ingestion earlier today? I would love an update when you are able

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian