Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dropped 1mg of tacrolimus on the floor; our cockatoo may…

Customer Question
Dropped 1mg of tacrolimus...

Dropped 1mg of tacrolimus on the floor; our cockatoo may have eaten it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cockatoo will be able to digest that. What is the cockatoo's name and age?

Cockapoo, stupid autocorrect

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Cockapoo?

Daisy is 9 years, 6 mkonths

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cockapoo?

Months

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does she weigh?

How long ago did this happen?

How is she just now?

30lbs; about an hour ago, and she seems fine.

Good, I am glad to hear that Daisy is a good sized dog.

As she is, this is quite a low dose and under the level we'd give a dog. So, while we could induce vomiting or use activated charcoal at this point (which I am happy to discuss), we don't strictly need to. You can choose to just take things easy and monitor for today. As well to offset any GI upset, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And we'd not expect any major issue for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I think that we will monitor, as long as it is considered a low dose.

Hello again,

That is completely fine as it is under the dose we'd be concerned about GI upset or immune effects.

Happy holidays,

Dr. B.

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian