Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was giving my dog a bath and when drying him off he yelped…

Customer Question
I was giving my...

I was giving my dog a bath and when drying him off he yelped and winced with pain when i touched his side. I looked more closely and noticed that he seems to be swollen on the right side of his rib cage and is in pain when touched. The last two days he has been lethargic and sitting down gingerly but he is old and i thought it was his arthritis acting up again. I didn’t notice the lump until now

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Ummm. He was hit by a bus when he was one but that was seven years ago. Not sure if that will help

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. If the swelling isn't firm or feel like there is a mass or air underneath it, it most likely is an area he got a deep bruise. He may have hit something, or something hit him. You can wrap a heating pad in a towel, put it on low and apply some warmth to the area for a short time (do not apply directly to the skin or leave on for a long period) to see if that helps. If he is eating and drinking and moving around fine, besides just being a little slow, it should be okay to monitor him. If he is getting worse, not eating, cannot get comfortable, the swelling gets bigger or develops an obvious mass or feels like there is air underneath; I would get him seen by a vet ASAP, even if it is an emergency vet. There are no human OTC pain medications that are consider completely safe for dogs. Enteric coated aspirin (walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm) is the only one that is somewhat safe, but it can still cause gastrointestinal problems, including bleeding, and kidney problems and may interfere with other medications you vet may want to use, so I don't usually recommend it. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how your dog is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian