Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2-year old mini schnauzer has suddenly developed a small…

Customer Question
My 2-year old mini...

My 2-year old mini schnauzer has suddenly developed a small round smooth looking lump on his lip that is about 3mm x 3mm in diameter. He is still as active and eats well. What do you think it is?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Schnauzer's name?

His name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Awesome?

Nothing else. He is generally very healthy. He is on raw food diet with full supplements including probiotics. His teeth and gums are really very clean. we clean his teeth every night

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has it been present?

Any discharge or pus from this?

Any pain when you palpate it?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

It was first discovered on Wednesday.It has no pus. He does not cringe when we check it or when we apply some ingestible essential oil on it.

Hello again,

It only just posted, downloading it now.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate when we see any lump on our pets, we do have to consider a range of issues. Still given what we can see with Awesome, our main concerns would be a soft tissue swelling, an abscess, insect sting induced allergic reactions, or possible growth (less likely if it has come up quickly, but a concern with how well demarcated it looks on the lip).

Now with these in mind, we can start some supportive care to try and rule out some of these. To start, if there is any chance of a bee/spider/wasp sting or bite, then we can reduce allergic type swelling using antihistamines. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine; More Info/Dose). A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of body weight twice daily) is often enough to reduce these signs over a few days. We do usually like to keep the dose low, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). As well, of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. You can also gently clean this 2-3 times daily with salt water to reduce local bacterial levels.

However, if you use that and it doesn't settle over the holiday weekend, then we'd want to have his local vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If they remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If blood or blood stained fluid is removed, then trauma/inflammation was most likely and pain relief/ anti-inflammatories can be used to settle the swelling. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained to tell us what is present and whether it is something that needs more serious treatment.

Overall, the appearance we have here does raise a few concerns. So, we can use the above but if this doesn’t settle; then we’d want to have your vet sample this lump to identify its cause so that we can target treatment for Awesome.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

ok. thank you. I am now on some anti inflammatory meds given by the local vet. I live in Singapore.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That is ideal and will help with those benign causes if they are at the root of this for him.
Happy holidays,
Dr. B.
**************************************
Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.