Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog is lethargic, paeing in the house,and not eating. But…

Dog is lethargic, paeing...

Dog is lethargic, paeing in the house,and not eating. But wants treats

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Westley 9

12/24/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing signs?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Since yesterday afternoon
No retching gagging ,lip licking, drooling or vomiting .
Does not act like there is pain or tenderness when I push on his belly.
Mouth is dry, and he has black gums and jowls naturally so can't tell any difference
Breathing is 18 breaths per minute

Hello again,

Since he has pigmented/black gums, can you check his inner eyelids to make sure those are pink?

His lids are pink and black. As normal

Hello again,

Good, I am glad to see his perfusion is normal alongside a normal breathing rate. Though when we see pacing and selective appetite loss like this, its often a sign of low grade nausea (even without vomiting) and tends to be a feature of pancreatitis, severe gastritis, stomach ulcer, or secondary to their eating something they should not have. Though given Westley's age, it is possible these signs with mental confusion with dementia or it can be a sign secondary to age related conditions (ie liver or kidney disease).

With this in mind, for the moment, we can try to rule out those more common issues. To do so, you can try him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can try an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here but it sounds like the condition afoot is mild at this point. Therefore, provided he hasn't likely eaten something harmful, we’d want to start the above supportive now. If he doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved to check for the above and start injectable anti-nausea medication, gut safe pain relief +/- appetite stimulants to get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian