Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 62 days into her pregnancy and she has shown no…

My dog is 62...

My dog is 62 days into her pregnancy and she has shown no sighs of nesting or stress or changes in behavior. do you think she is a week away from delivery? do dogs stop eating before delivery?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Coco

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?

No. i took her to the vet last Monday and had her xray'd. the vet said 4 maybe 5 puppies

12/24/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Christmas puppies; how exciting!

Dogs usually do stop eating before whelping, but not always or sometimes not until the last moment. Usually their rectal temperature drops to 100 or less within 24 hours of whelping; normal is 101.5

If she is 62 days, I would expect puppies in the next 1 to 8 days, probably somewhere in between.

Please let me know if this helps, and what other questions I can answer.

are there any other signs to be looking for if I don't take her temperature. Since she has not started nesting is that something that could happen last minute?

Some new mothers do not nest beforehand at all, so that may or may not happen. My first dog just had her puppies all over the house!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I appreciate the good rating! Let me know when the puppies come!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian