Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My rat terrier is almost 15 years old. He has always been in…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My rat...

Second opinion] My rat terrier is almost 15 years old. He has always been in excellent health until recently when he has started to sleep more and the last few days he has been eating and drinking but throwing up. I've tried pepto bisma and some vet prescribed medicine for his stomach upset. However, this morning he isn't eating or drinking anything. He looks sick. We have a limited amount of money we can spend. What can we do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your rat terrier?

He's about 12 pounds. He has been losing weight recently. He has lost many teeth so I'm not sure if that is part of the problem with eating. I have been giving him steamed rice and a little chicken for the past 2 days. He was able to tolerate that yesterday until last night when he threw up again. I don't know if we can afford an expensive vet bill right now. I'm worried.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Do you want to keep waiting to see if Dr. Debbie gets online or can I assist you? If you want to keep waiting for Dr. Debbie just let me know and I will opt out.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian