Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 10 year old pitbull who was diagnosed with Mast…

Customer Question
Good Morning, Veterinarian's Assistant:...

Good Morning,

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

I have a 10 year old pitbull who was diagnosed with Mast Cancer 3 years ago. One surgery to remove a tumor and the tumors seemrd to be popping out all over one large one right next to the anus on the outside 3 years ago they said I should start radiation and chemo and if I don't she could die in 6 months. well I have been treating her pallatively. Only taking her to the vet for UTI and feeding her No grain no soy and boiled chicken. The other day 3 days ago she was vomiting large amounts, Piles wasn't sure what it could me . she was peeing and pooping and no temp. I took her to the vet thinking it could be her time . Her stomach was rumbling so bad. They gave her to shots to calm that. Blood work was fine and they gave her IV fluids. No xrays, Could not afford them . I have spent thousands on this dog which we love so much. I lost my job right before the holidays and now this . I am only giving her small amounts of boiled chicken and twie I gave her boiled white rice but after 3 days her stomach is gurgling again I gave her a 1/2 of pepcid AC.. Should I consider borrowing money for xrays or should I say its time to put her down.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is walking and looks better than when she was vomiting . No vomiting. Just gurgleing in stomach and is eating boiled chicken.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your dog.

Just to clarify, she's eating the bland diet that you mentioned and she's no longer vomiting, correct?

How is she behaving? Is she lethargic?

How much does she weigh?

How much Pepcid AC are you giving her?

Thanks, Deb

63ibs, she is acting ok not as lively as she is usually but better than 3 days ago.She is still on small amounts of boiled
chicken,. 5 mg of pepcid AC.

Thanks for the answers to my questions. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

The noises that her stomach is making are called borborygmi and can occur when normal quantities of gas are moved through the intestines in a normal fashion. Abnormally loud intestinal noises occur when the intestines contain abnormally large quantities of gas, or when the intestines experience abnormally increased activity. Both of these phenomena often occur simultaneously.

As to the underlying causes for borborygmi, one of the most common causes of audible intestinal gurgling is hunger. If she's being fed much less food than she normally is, then these noises may not be anything concerning; they may disappear when you start feeding her more food.

However, having said that, other possible explanations include intestinal parasites, inflammatory bowel disease, gastrointestinal foreign bodies, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, certain toxicities, adverse reactions to medications, and metabolic problems; therefore, the noises may reflect a potentially more worrisome problem.....which an x-ray may or may not diagnose.

5 mg of Pepcid is a little on the low side for a dog this size so I might increase it to 15 mg (1.5 of the 10 mg tablets) twice a day. This drug may help with any residual nausea she has although it won't specifically address the stomach noises.

I might also increase the amount of food you've been feeding her although I'd still feed the bland diet for now; I'd space out the feedings to 3-4 times/day (although I suspect this is what you're already doing).

Of course, I can't entirely know for sure but it doesn't sound as if it's her time just yet especially since she's shown improvement from three days ago. I'd give her more time to see if this is just a transient gi event.

I hope this helps, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian