Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I think he ate a sharp bone and is bleeding internally - he…

Customer Question
I think he ate...

I think he ate a sharp bone and is bleeding internally - he puked up a lot of blood and won't eat anything. Is there anything that can be done?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Sorry a St. Bernard dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes he is our pet

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the St. Bernard will be able to digest that. What is the St. Bernard's name and age?

Ziggy and he is almost 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ziggy?

I can't think of anything - he has had no heath issues ever. He is getting slower, since he is getting old

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I am quite concerned about your lad!

I have to say that if Ziggy ate a sharp bone and he is vomiting blood, we need to get him seen urgently without delay. Bones can be surgically removed and if it has damaged the stomach this can be assessed and the tissues closed or removed to avoid the risk of his perforating his stomach. And if we intervene quickly, even an older dog can recover without long term issues. So, since we don't want him suffering here as he sounds to be if he won't eat, we need him seen now either for surgery or to humanely let him go so that he doesn't risk perforating his stomach.

In this situation, to find a local ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank-you. We weren't sure if it could be fixed or not

You are very welcome, my dear.

It can be and even perforated stomachs can be if we act quickly (but of course we want to head that off if we can since perforation of course would make the prognosis more guarded).

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All is good. Don’t need anything further

Good morning,

That is great news that all is well.

If you do leave a rating (using the stars or giving a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) so that I am credited for my aid, the system should be able to close this question for you.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian