Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our dog has no appetite, is lethargic, and would rather be…

Customer Question
Our dog has no...

Our dog has no appetite, is lethargic, and would rather be outside in he snow

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Winnie, 18 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winnie?

She is always excited about food except for today

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Winnie is not feeling well. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- Did she get into anything?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- Breed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She vomited this morning, diarrhea this morning. She’s been rooting around in the snow so she could’ve eaten rabbit or deer droppings. She’s not used to snow. We love in nc but are in West ny for the holidays. She is a golden doodle

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

3- Can you take her rectal temperature?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She weighs 50-55 lbs. her gums are pale pink. We can’t take her temp at this time but will try to asap

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, her lack of appetite and lethargy are directly related to not feeling well. The big question is: Why is she vomiting and diarrhea? In a young dog like Winnie common causes are infections, ingestion of a foreign body, parasites, dietary indiscretion, etc. to name a few causes. I would also like to rule out a fever as she wants to stay in the snow.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination by a veterinarian as soon as you can. In the meantime, this is what you can do for the vomiting and diarrhea:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting she can continue to have water. Leave her without food for 12 hours then offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep her on this diet for several days then wean her into her regular diet.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

To check her rectal temperature this is what you do:

1- Lubricate thermometer tip with ky jelly, vaseline or soap and water.
2- Insert thermometer in rectum about 1 inch and gently press tip up against rectal wall.
3- Wait a minute or until it beeps.

4- Normal temperature in a dog is between 99.5-102.5 F.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian