Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is a 12 year old Papillon with mitral valve disease…

Customer Question
My dog is a...

My dog is a 12 year old Papillon with mitral valve disease diagnosed 21/2 years ago. He is on 6 prescription meds. He woke last night 3 times and looked to be having seizures. He is drinking a lot of water and semms unstable on his feet. He is also incontinent. I am wondering if this is the end.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Jacques

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jacques?

He takes furosemide, torsemide, pimobendan, enalapril, sprionolactone, amlodipine and pepcid AC.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear your dog is not feeling well. I will need a little more information to better help you:

Has Jacques ever had seizures before?

Is he coughing at all?
Has he been drinking a lot since he started the medications or is this a new problem?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

he has been on these medications for 21/2 years. He always drinks a lot but he is drinking even more. He was rolled over onto his back and had foam in his month. He does occasionally cough but that is part of his disease.
His kidney values have increased slightly in recent weeks.

I am sorry to hear that.

I am indeed worried as that is definitely not normal behavior for a dog with heart disease.

I am worried his medications need to be adjusted at this point due to the odd behavior, however I think the best thing to do would be to have him checked out as x-rays of his chest and bloodwork should be done to see the extent of what is going on. This could be kidney failure or blood clots to the head. Are you able to get him to a vet today?

He was given 6 months to live when he was diagnosed 21/ years ago. Am I looking at end stage symptoms?

This could be end stage heart disease, however there could be room to adjust or add medications as well. We just need to know the extent of the disease at this point.

He has progressed from left to right side heart failure. He has ascites tapped from his abdomen every 3-4 weeks.
He ate his morning, had his meds and seems quiet.

I see. I think this is probably getting to a point where you need to think about stopping. I am worried it is just going to get worse much more quickly. Ultimately that decision is up to you, but I am worried about him. You can try just monitoring for any further episodes and making a decision after that, but I think he is likely going to need to be seen within the next few days.

What are you thinking at this point? Are you considering euthanasia, or are you thinking of more medical management and treatment?

I also think he may be at the end. He has tolerated these drugs a long time and he is a pretty little guy. He was in a clinical trial 1 year ago at Tufts University where he received mesenchymal stem cells for 6 months. He has really done well on his meds but I think the kidney may not be keepin up. I don't want him to have an episode at night when I can't get him anywhere for treatment. I think he may be ready but I just wanted to know if these symptoms are consistent with the end?

The rolling and foam is a sign that there is likely fluid building up in the chest (around the heart) and/or in the lungs themselves. I am worried about him.

Can they have an episode like this and then stabilize again?

Typically, more episodes will follow. Sometimes they stabilize for a short period of time, but generally things get worse with time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. G.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago

I just wanted to check in. I never heard back from you. How is your pet doing? Is he ok? Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day and a Happy New Year!

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian