Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She’s a chihuahua and she’s getting a bad flaky rash.

Customer Question
She’s a chihuahua...

She’s a chihuahua and she’s getting a bad flaky rash

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?

Glitter long haired

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Chihuahua?

I have a photo ?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been showing these signs?

Where is the rash on her body (ie back, tail base, belly, feet, etc)?

Any other changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, redness, ulcers, or sores)?

Any diet change in the 2 months before this started?

What flea treatment did you last use? When did you last apply it?

Can you post your photo for me? To do that, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

She has had this rash off and on spreading and disapearing in different places now she has it around her lower neck on top of her but along the backside above take and now on one side of her chest she also has two little warts the warts come and go. She eats a little portion of reg dog canned food twice a day the last time I went to vet he said she was allergic reaction to flea suliva gave her treatment and a shampoo to follow. Since then the rash has gotten worst I keep using hydrocortisone to ease the itch along with a oatmeal shampoo for flea and tick to release the discomfort itch spots such as these are almost everywhere on her

Hello again,

Now based on your photo, this looks bacterial in origin. Of course, we can see dogs will allergic skin disease develop bacterial infection secondarily. Now the oatmeal shampoo and hydrocortisone are fine to use. Though if she is a flea sensitive dog do make sure she is on a good quality flea spot on (shampoo flea treatments don't last long enough) to just exclude that here. Otherwise, we'd also want to address the underlying suspect allergy systemically. To do so, you can consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Or if she is too severely affected for that, there are prescription options (ie steroids, Atopica, Apoquel, Cytopoint) that her vet can dispense.

Otherwise, with your topical care, I'd suggest cleaning these diffuse lesions with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neopsporin) just so we can reduce the bacterial load involved here. Of course, if she ha a lot of spots and is miserable with this we'd want her vet dispensing a systemic/oral antibiotic as well to treat this from the inside out for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian